2020/21 APYAC Angling Competition - September Update
The recent announcements in relation to Victoria's COVID-19 roadmap to reopening continues to restrict recreational activities, including fishing and boating.
Accordingly, the opening of the 2020/21 APYAC angling competition has been postponed to midnight, Friday 30 October 2020. The opening is subject to restrictions easing by this date and the Angling Committee will continue to monitor the status of the restrictions during October. Further notice will be issued if any change to this date is required.
Given the competition opening has been postponed the following angling events have been postponed or cancelled:
• Sat 3rd October - Boathouse Clean-Up & BBQ - Postponed, new date to be confirmed
• 17th and 18th October - Max Coningsby Trophy - Cancelled
The first event of the competition is now proposed for 1 November 2020 being Captain & Crew inc. APYAC vs Williamstown. Further details to follow closer to the date and as restrictions ease.
Updated provisional dates for key events on the APYAC 2020-21 competition calendar are as follows.
2020/2021 APYAC- Angling Competition Dates
• Sun 1st November - Captain and Crew inc. APYAC v Williamstown hosted Interclub combined competition. APYAC to host
• 7th & 8th November - Pot of Gold.
• Sun 22nd November - Ladies Fishing Charter day
• Tue 26th January - Australia Day Clinker Boat Race
• 13th & 14th February - Tiger Lyons Whiting competition
• 6th,7th,8th March - Labour Day long weekend -Lake Purrumbete trip
• Sat 1st May - Season ends Midday
• 12,13,14th June - Queens Birthday long w/end Port MacDonnell Tuna Trip
• 3rd July - Presentation Night
(All dates are subject to change at the discretion of the Angling Committee)
Further communication will be provided in October
Cancelled Boathouse & Member Boat Use - Stage 4
Under announced Stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions, the Boathouse is closed to all members
No Club Boat Hire is available for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency
When COVID_19 restrictions are lifted, boatowners looking for fishing crew & Fishing members looking to go out on Clubhouse boat.
Please click on the link below to register:
Boat House Fee Structure
Based on the announced Fee Structure for 2018/2019 the following applies:
- There will be no upfront payment.
- Each season boat owners will be required to do five trips per year.
- At the end of every season Boat Owners will be charged $40 for each trip less than 5, up to $200.00
- If a boat is not used during the season, Boat Owners will be charged, over and above the $200.00 Boat Levy a $1,000.00 storage fee.
- If the same boat is not used the following year then all the above applies except the storage fee is increased to $2,000.00
- If this occurs for a third year, then the boat will be subject to a $4,000.00 storage fee.
The club wants stored boats used and, it is hoped the above new Boat Levy structure will see a big jump in boats going out. It should be noted the above Trip Fees/Ley applies to the Boat, so it is possible for boat owners to let other people take out their boat, throughout the season. Again, the club wants stored boats to be used on a regular basis. Shared use of boat should be coordinated through the Boathouse captain.
Anybody taking their boat out for 10 or more trips for a season will have their boat fees waived for the next season. Still have to pay Club membership fee.
So, if you don’t take a boat out, you get punished, if you do take a boat out you get rewarded.
The other way is for the boat to be sold to someone who will use it.
Club to let Boatowners know of the changes via email or post.
If there is a case of hardship then that needs to be put in writing to the club for committee consideration.
2019/20 APYAC Competition Angling Rules
In House Club Champions:
This category is designed to cater for anglers who launch only from the Clubhouse, and who will be eligible to win the In House* Club Championship categories, so long as they only weigh fish caught from the use of Club based boats. There is nothing to stop them from fishing from elsewhere, but once they weigh any fish caught when departing from areas other than the Club (e.g. St Kilda Marina), they forfeit the right to become the In House* Club Champion. This category also includes In House* second and third places.
Open Club Champions:
Members are eligible to weigh fish they catch when launching from the Clubhouse, as well as other launching sites. The area of eligibility for this Trophy is to be within the confines of Port Phillip Bay. This category also includes Open** second and third places.
Under the above arrangement, no-one can be Club Champion in both categories. Both the In House* and Open** Club Championships are separate competitions and seen by the Club as being equal in status.
In House and Open Competitions Exemptions
The rules concerning In House* and Open** categories for the 2019/2020 Angling Competition include special club competition categories, as follows:
Max Coningsby Trophy.
APYAC / Williamstown inc. Captain and Crew Day*** & other club competitions.
Pot of Gold.
Tiger Lyons Whiting competition.
Snapper caught in the above competitions will be worth double points for the 2019/20 season.
(This rule is being trialled as an incentive for anglers to participate in the season competitions).
For these competition categories, members who launch away from the club to go fishing (e.g. at St Kilda Marina), or who crew for and fish with, another person who launches away from the club, will not lose eligibility to continue to compete for the In House* Club Championship Trophy. Fish caught in these categories will also earn points for Club Championship categories.
Other Competition Rules:
➢ There will be a monthly award for a secret weight category, the secret weight to be determined by the Scorer (Should more than one angler catch the secret weight fish then awards shall be given to both anglers).
➢ The monthly award for the heaviest Snapper will be included for both In House* and Open** categories.
➢ It will not be possible to receive an award for both the heaviest Snapper and the secret weight category, which means that members can only receive one award in the monthly category.
➢ There will be a monthly award in the Junior category, at the discretion of the Angling Committee.
➢ Competitors can only weigh in fish for the Club Championship 3 days per week, Monday to Sunday inclusive. Any 3 days within a week may be chosen. Any fish weighed outside the 3 days.
Club Championship Competition can be entered in the Non - Club Championship Sheet for other competition points and results.
- The last 2 days of Competition are for Club Championship points also. Fish may be weighed in up until 12:00 (Noon) refer to Angling Competition Dates for comp. end date
- The heaviest Snapper Award (Tom Kells Memorial Trophy) is to be awarded separately for both In House* and Open** categories.
- The Jack Pompei Award (most Snapper) is to be awarded separately for both In House* and Open** categories. There will be awards for 1st, 2nd & 3rd in this category.
- Awards for the following competitions will be presented on the day of the competition end, rather than at the Annual Presentation Night, being: Max Coningsby; APYAC Interclub competition / Captain and Crew; Pot of Gold; Ladies Fishing Day/s; Adults Mixed Charter Day and Tiger Lyons Whiting competitions. Winners must be present to receive awards or forfeit their prizes.
- The competition for both the In House* and Open** Club Championships will commence on Saturday, 1st September, 2019 at 12:01 AM and will finish on Sunday, 30th Apr, 2020 at 12:00 (Noon). No fish may be weighed in after 12:00 (Noon) 30th Apr, 2020
- The minimum weight for Snapper will be 1Kg for weigh in.
- The points system is 1 point per fish and 1 point per Kilogram thereafter.
- Only Snapper will be eligible to weigh in for the Club Championship in both In House* and Open** categories.
- For Gummy Shark and other Shark varieties, the minimum weight for weigh in will be 3Kg cleaned weight.
- No Stingrays/Eagle Rays/Banjo Sharks may be entered for any competition.
- Actively competing land based anglers are eligible to compete providing weigh in rules are adhered to, and are eligible for an end of season prize. (2 or more denotes a competition).
- Any incorrect entry on weigh in sheets will mean a loss of points for that angler and a second offence will eliminate him/her from further competition participation (at the discretion of the Angling Committee, on advice from the Scorer).
- Fishing Marks must be accurately recorded so that all members receive a fair go. In this regard, the location entered on Score Sheets of where a fish is captured must be within two kilometres of the point of capture.
- Entries on the Score Sheets should be complete and thorough in accordance with Score Sheet headings.
- Members must not make inappropriate comments, or amendments to entries on competition sheets without concurrence of the Scorer.
- Any breach of the angling rules could cost the Member all accrued points, at the discretion of the Angling Committee.
- Boats housed outside the club may be entered in the competition, provided they are registered with the Boathouse Captain or Scorer. (Non-Members boats are not eligible to compete in special club competition categories listed on Angling Competition Season Dates)
- Maimed fish, such as being mutilated by a Shark or Seal will not be eligible.
- A fish that have been landed on another person’s rod will be credited to the person who lands the fish.
- If any angler has knowledge of another angler breaking the rules, they are obliged to report the offence to the Angling Committee in writing within seven days of the offence occurring.
- Special awards will be given for any “spectacular” catches outside our jurisdiction (e.g., Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna, as some Members venture into Country/Interstate/International locations), at the discretion of the Angling Committee.
- More than six Members fishing outside the Club on a Club organised trip will constitute a competition with appropriate awards, at the discretion of the Angling Committee.
- A King George Whiting championship category (both In House* and Open**) will be awarded for 2019/20, based on numbers caught and weight of fish, at the discretion of the Angling Committee.
- Members may fish more than once on a given day, but fish may only be weighed once on any day. Members should be aware that multi-tripping can be illegal in certain circumstances and daily bag limits must not be exceeded.
- If two or more boats participate in any competition, this means that a scheduled competition will proceed, unless called off by 20:00 on the evening prior to the competition.
- When weighing in fish, all fish caught in the boat on a given day should be weighed in, including any fish caught by visitors.
- All In House* and Open** Competition fish must be weighed using the scales located at the APYAC boathouse by the angler that caught the fish.
- Fish can only be weighed until 19:00 on any club meeting nights.
- Any issues that arise, that are not adequately covered by APYAC Angling Rules will be resolved by the Angling Committee.
- All fishing must comply with the provisions of Fisheries Law and Regulations and all other relevant Laws and Regulations.
- Breaches of Angling Rules will result in loss of competition points, at the discretion of the Angling Committee.
The same rules apply for Junior Championship and points scored by Juniors are eligible for Club Championship (therefore a Junior Member can become Club Champion).
The Above Rules must be strictly adhered to.
Decisions by the Scorer and the Angling Committee will be final and binding.
*In House denotes Inboard Motor or Kayak competitors.
**Open denotes Outboard Motor competitors.
***The Captain and Crew event specifically eliminates a Captain’s normal crew from participating in the competition. The purpose of this competition category is to encourage an experienced Captain to take a lesser experienced crew member fishing, and help him/her to catch Snapper.
Syllabus For Fishing Season 2020/2021
|3rd October||Season Opens||First Snapper caught||Trophy plus subs paid|
|9am - 12pm||Boathouse clean up||BBQ 12:15pm|
|17th & 18th October||Max Coningsby Trophy
Heaviest Other Species
|Best Fish $150
Best bag $100
Other species $50
|1st November||Captain & Crew|
|1st November||Williamstown Club Comp
Plus 1 x Open Species
|Shield + Award|
|7th & 8th November||Pot of Gold
|22nd November||Ladies Fishing Day Charter 😻|
26th January Australia Day
|Clinker Boat Race
BBQ 12 Noon
|Derek Johnson Trophy||TBA|
|13th & 46th February||Tiger Lyons Whiting Comp||Trophy plus voucher|
|6th, 7th & 8th March Labour Day Long w/end||Lake Purrumbete trip||TBA||TBA|
|Sat 1st May||Competition Ends at 12:00 Noon
BBQ 12:00 Noon
|Last Snapper caught||Trophy plus voucher|
|12th -14th June Queen's Birthday Long W/end||Peter Thomas Tuna Classic – Port MacDonnell Trip||Heaviest Tuna||Trophy plus voucher|
|3rd July||Presentation Night|